Queensland railways was a leader in concrete bridge design. This economically built bridge cost $3.576.00, came into use when the Wetheron section of the Gayndah railway opened on 21 December 1905, and the 27 metre arch was Queensland's first long span concrete rail bridge. The Chowey Bridge, with a series of flanking arches supporting the superstructure, it was designed when William Pagan was chief ( Civil ) Engineer for railways. It was built by the railways own day labour workforce. Sand aggregate was obtained from the creek bed and raised by tramway with a total of 658 cubic meters of concrete used. A slender timber bridge supporting the rails and formwork for the arch was built to facilitate construction.